National Pet Week®
May 3-9, 2015
Well before social media made "Grumpy Cat" or the "Boo" the Pomeranian pop culture superstars, National Pet Week® provided pet owners the opportunity to celebrate the unique, quirky, adorable traits that they believe make their pet the world's best pet. Truly a grassroots program, veterinary clinics, veterinary schools, and other pet-related groups have hosted fun runs, dog washes, adoption fairs, and competitions ranging from the longest tail to the ugliest pet contests. You can use National Pet Week® as a focal point to celebrate the pets in your community and provide educational programs tailored to your area. After 34 years, we've got something for everybody.
10 Stress-free ways to Celebrate National Pet Week® in your Clinic
- Video -- Share the National Pet Week® video on your clinic's social media feeds, and have it playing in your reception area. Use the simple copy-and-paste code from YouTube to embed it on your own website, too.
- Social Media – Include National Pet Week® posts in your social media feeds to remind your clients how much they love their pets and encourage them to schedule wellness exams. Ask your followers to post photos of their pets, share what special treats or attention they're giving to mark National Pet Week®, or tell a funny story about their pet. "Like" the AVMA on Facebook and simply re-share some of our great National Pet Week® posts. AVMA members can use our pre-written Facebook, Google+ and Twitter posts that you can copy and paste – making it really easy!
- Make it personal – Personalize this sample proclamation for your town's mayor and work with your local colleagues to have the governor of your state proclaim May 3-9, 2015 as National Pet Week®. Use this press release template as your guide to alert local media to your clinic's special National Pet Week® events and why your clinic and staff are their pet's best friends all year long.
- Throw a Party/Host a Contest – Whether it is an actual party in the clinic with behind-the-scenes tours and refreshments, or a special Facebook event, invite your clients to celebrate their healthy pets with pictures and stories. Sponsor a poster and essay contest around the 2015 Auxiliary's poster and creative writing theme, "Pets at play brighten your day." Enter your clinic's finalists or winner into the Auxiliary's national poster and creative writing contests.
- Partners for Healthy Pets – Seize the momentum from National Pet Week® and carry the ‘healthy pet’ message throughout the entire year. If your clinic isn't already registered for this phenomenal FREE program created by the AVMA and AAHA, you should do so immediately at www.partnersforhealthypets.org. The Partnership adds value to your practice and to your bottom line. The Partnership will provide you free, easy-to-use tools to help your clients understand the benefits of regular checkups; a monthly newsletter full of tips, tools and testimonials; and information about where your clients are seeing advertisements and public service announcements.
- Client Connections – Add a Partners for Healthy Pets client portal to your clinic website that will help prepare clients prior to their visit. Partners for Healthy Pets developed an interactive consumer-based website to help clients better understand why preventive healthcare is key to their pet's long and healthy life. It is as simple as a, b, c:
- Post a link to the website on your practice homepage: www.HealthyPetCheckup.org;
- Advise clients that they can better prepare for their annual checkups by learning more about what the checkup entails;
- Encourage your clients to sign up for an annual reminder to get their pet's check-up scheduled. Either by email or by text message, Partners for Healthy Pets will send them a notice to make sure they schedule their visit with you. Here's an example that can be used on your practice website or in your client communications:
Don't forget to schedule your pet's most important date of the year: their annual checkup! For free, fast and easy annual reminders to schedule your next checkup, visit www.HealthyPetCheckup.org and click on "Register Your Pet" today.
- Free customizable downloads -- Add your clinic name, logo or National Pet Week® dates to the wildly popular, "Special Care" dog and cat ads nationally in print and online. These ads remind clients that veterinary care is as essential as food and love. In addition to the print and digital ads, there are three new downloadable banners/posters for you to use. Complete instructions are available by scrolling to the bottom of the Consumer Campaign section on the Partners for Healthy Pets website.
- Embed the Partnership's "Special Care" video -- The Special Care Instructions PSA is easy to share across the web, either on your practice site or social media pages, to remind your clients to schedule a yearly checkup today. Follow the links below and click on the sharing icon on the videos in order to share them:
:30 Special Care Instructions PSA
:15 Special Care Instructions PSA
- Community outreach – Bring the National Pet Week® message to the classroom. We've got ready-to-use presentations and other materials perfect for classroom use.
- "America's Favorite Veterinarian" – Don't be shy. Let your clients know how to submit a nomination for the American Veterinary Medical Foundation's (AVMF) contest, "America's Favorite Veterinarian." All veterinarians are eligible, whether they are companion animal practitioners or work in research, academia, military, food animal, equine medicine or another specialty or discipline. Nominating is easy. Clients only need to tell why their veterinarian is the best, and upload a photo of the veterinarian, the pet, or the pet with the veterinarian. You can include a link (AVMF.org/AFV) in your press materials, on your website, and suggest your local and state associations include a link on their websites. America's Favorite Veterinarian receives fabulous prizes. All entries must be received by midnight, May 17, 2015. Visit AmericasFavoriteVeterinarian.org to learn more about the contest and about America's Favorite Veterinarian for 2014, Dr. Tim Hunt of Marquette, Mich.!
Nominate your Pet's Veterinarian for "America's Favorite Veterinarian"
Your pet loves its veterinarian and we are betting you do to! Do you have a favorite veterinarian who's made a difference in your pet's life and yours? Nominate more > > >
Poster & Writing Contests
The Auxiliary holds an annual poster and writing contest around a selected theme for the year. more > > >
Discover top ten dog and cat owning states more > > >
Five Ways to "Vet" Your Veterinarian
You know how it is. You have a million questions about your pet before you get to the veterinary clinic but when asked, your mind is blank. more > > >
Five Feline Fast Facts
There are 10 million more cats owned in America than dogs. more > > >